As we are in the midst of the the holiday shopping season, it is a good time to be especially careful while driving and shopping. It is a time when busy people become careless and vulnerable to both theft and accidents. Even though the Central Coast is generally safer than many big cities, we can never be too careful, too prepared or too aware.
Here are some tips to help you have a safe and happy holiday season:
- Avoid driving alone or at night.
- Keep all car doors locked and windows closed while in or out of your car. Set your alarm or use an anti-theft device.
- If you must shop at night, park in a well-lighted area.
- Avoid parking next to vans, trucks with camper shells, or cars with tinted windows.
- Park as close as you can to your destination and take notice of where you parked.
- Never leave your car unoccupied with the motor running or with children inside.
- Do not leave packages or valuables on the seat of your car. If you must leave something in the car, lock it in the trunk or glove compartment.
- Be sure to locate your keys prior to going to your car.
- Keep a secure hold on your purse, handbag and parcels. Do not put them down or on top of the car in order to open the door.
- When approaching or leaving your vehicle, be aware of your surroundings.
- Do not approach your car alone if there are suspicious people in the area. Ask mall or store security for an escort before leaving your shopping location.
- Drop Off Items at Home. If you’ve purchased a big-ticket item or if you’ve completed a big shopping trip and need to go somewhere else, make a detour home to drop off your purchases.
- Be especially careful when backing up in parking lots. People are easily distracted or children may run behind your car.
- Even though you are rushed and thinking about a thousand things, stay alert to your surroundings.
- Never drink and drive!
We hope you enjoyed this post. If there is anything else we can do to help you feel free to call us at (805) 466-2446 (Atascadero) or (805) 239-8752 (Paso Robles). And be sure to stay connected with us on Facebook as well!