Knowing the “trade secrets,” of car thieves could keep your car safe. A car thief can often steal a car in less than 10 seconds.
- The cars that appeal to car thieves the most are Honda, Toyota and Acura.
- The top two most stolen cars in the United States last year were Honda Civics and Honda Accords, according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau.
- Car thieves avoid cars parked in front of houses and in driveways.
- A car thief likes dark secluded locations, such as apartment buildings and complexes, carports, underground parking, and parking garages, because there is a pick of vehicles in one location.
- Car thieves avoid things that may call attention to themselves. Daylight, kill switches, alarms, nosy neighbors and security cameras are a few things they hate.
- Never, ever leave your car running.
- Never leave your keys in the ignition, even in a gas station. You are just asking for your car to be stolen.
- Do not leave a spare key such as a valet key in your car. Car thieves know where to find them. Make sure to check your car manual or car kit that neither have a valet key. If a thief finds a key to the car inside of it, it’s not a felony. It’s called joyriding and is just a misdemeanor.
- Leaving the window open even one inch will allow a thief to get his fingers into the space and knock the window off track, allowing him to get into the car.
We at Davis Body Shop hope these tips keep your car safe from theft. If you have questions, drop by or simply call us…. our numbers are: Atascadero (805) 466-2446 or Paso Robles (805) 239-8752. Davis Body Shop wants to keep your family safe on the road. Stay in touch with us on Facebook or Twitter and stay connected!