As we head into spring and summer, it’s road trip time! And, though we are an auto body shop, we care about your total car readiness and safety.
We are all flooded with articles and tips about preparing our car for winter, but it’s time to address Spring (and Summer)-time prepardness and car safety. By doing so, not only will you save money, you’ll ultimately save time and aggravation. These tips are for you to consider but they aren’t all-encompassing and thus, you should feel free to expand on them and check anything that you sense needs attention.
Though the Central Coast has temperate weather, you may have traveled to colder states over the winter, and experienced snow, ice and salt. Even our chilly nights put significant stress on your car.
Here are our recommendations:
- EXTERIOR/INTERIOR – Naturally, we care about the condition of your car’s body and couldn’t stress further how important it is to thoroughly wash and inspect your car’s exterior for signs of rust or corrosion and don’t neglect to clean the underbody. We then further recommend that you clean your car’s interior just as carefully because you may have brought into the car the same corrosive elements (salt, grime, etc.). Waxing your car now would be timely because it would allow the upcoming rain to simply roll right off and make your next car wash a breeze.
- TIRES – With the change in temperature, it’s critical to check tire pressure. Tire pressure changes approximately one pound per square inch for every 10 degrees of Fahrenheit change in outside temperature. Verify recommended pressure for your tires and never exceed that and the maximum inflation listed on the tire is not the correct tire pressure! Check your owner’s manual for the tire pressure number. Over-inflation generally results in improved fuel economy and steering response but it’s a less comfortable (stiffer) ride, wearing out the tread at the center of the tire. Conversely, under-inflation often results in a smoother ride, but causes the tires to wear out at the sides. Finally, don’t forget to check your spare tire.
- ALIGNMENT – With the occasional imprecision in tire inflation and less-than-optimum winter driving conditions, it’s likely your vehicle is out of alignment. Now would be a terrific time to check your alignment and if need be, have it adjusted.
- OIL / FLUIDS – Typically, drivers change their oil every three or four months and that corresponds perfectly with the change in seasons. The cold weather you’ve just experienced may have taken a toll on your hoses, belts and fluids and a thorough inspection would be wise, topping off any low fluids. Winter weather can deplete some fluids — especially windshield wiper fluid — more quickly, so top them off yourself if they’re too low.
- WIPERS – With spring comes increased rain and it would be wise to check the rubber on your wipers. Replacing them might be a great idea at this time.
- RADIATOR – Consider flushing your radiator and changing the radiator cap at this time in preparation for warmer weather and better efficiency for your cooling system and air conditioning.
We certainly hope that these tips assist you and your family to enjoy your vehicle and remain safe on the road through every season.
At Davis Body Shop, we are ready to discuss any car-related topic with you! Drop by or simply ring us…. Our numbers are: Atascadero (805) 466-2446 or Paso Robles (805) 239-8752. Happy Spring!